Monday 5 March 2018

Kefir, the king, or Queen, of probiotics

Kefir, the king of probiotics.

I don't make this claim lightly. I have watched several programmes and YouTubes on the properties of kefir and I must say that I am convinced that drinking some kefir every day has done me a great deal of good.

Have you seen, Trust Me I'm a Doctor on the BBC? Well, if you can watch the episode on probiotics you will be convinced that  drinking it is the way to go.

Last year I started to have very painful tummy pains after I ate clementines. This really did upset me as I do love a sweet,  juicy clementine. Rather than give up on this treat I decided to investigate what could be causing the problem. Surfing the internet, I came upon KEFIR. I haven't looked back. I bought some and started to produce this probiotic doing in my own kitchen. I make it every two days and I then have enough to last me about three days. Hubby has his on his breakfast cereals rather than drinking it. 
The two pictures below are of the kefir grains that you need to start production.

You don't need this much, I spoonful will do. It will grow and you will have this much after a week or two. 






I have to admit that it is a rather sharp taste as the kefir has used all of the lactic acids in the milk to survive and produce the probiotics. What I do is make the kefir into a delicious fruit shake.

The jar is full of fermented milk. It has not been strained and contains both the grains and milk. It will need to be strained through a plastic sieve before it is drunk.

This is how I drink my kefir in the morning.

I buy 1 pack of berries, frozen are fine and add enough cornflour to thicken it slightly.  (I generally find that 1 kg of fruit will thicken with 1 tablespoon of cornflour.)

Then I add about 3 tablespoons of sugar. 

Mix the above well and microwave on full power until the mix turns from opaque to bright. If you don't cook it properly it will taste powdery.

I use about 250ml of strained kefir and add a generous tablespoonful of fruit. Blend with a stick blender and you will have a delicious breakfast drink.

This is all that I have for breakfast. It keeps me full until lunchtime. 

If you want to buy some grains they are available from eBay:

They are on auction now. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162928157705

No comments: